More than 1 hour
- 1 cup (250g) butter
- ½ cup (200g) honey
- Juice (80ml) and peel of 1 orange
- 3 eggs, separated
- 3 cups (300g) almond flour
- 1 cup (160g) polenta
- 1 cup (250g) plain double-cream yoghurt
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ½ punnet (10g) fresh thyme, leaves picked and chopped
- 1/3 cup (100g) honey
- Juice (80ml) of 1 orange
- 5 sprigs fresh thyme
- ¼ cup (60g) butter, softened
- 1½ cups (195g) icing sugar, sifted
- 1-2 Tbsp (15-30ml) plain double-cream yoghurt
- Preheat oven to 160°C and grease a 23cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Whisk butter and honey for 5 minutes or until smooth.
- Add orange juice and peel, then egg yolks.
- Whisk egg whites to stiff peaks and fold through yolk mixture.
- Combine flour, polenta, yoghurt, baking powder, salt and chopped thyme in a mixing bowl.
- Add egg mixture and fold through until well combined.
- Pour batter into prepared cake tin.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in tin for 10 minutes, unmould and cool completely.
- Combine syrup ingredients in a pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove thyme sprigs and pour hot syrup over cake.
- Whisk soft butter until fluffy.
- Add icing sugar gradually, whisking until smooth.
- Fold through yoghurt.
- Ice cake all around and decorate as you wish.