Less than 30 minutes plus freezing time
IMAGE CREDIT Stylist: Liezl Vermeulen Photographer: Donna Lewis
A great way to make ice-cream sandwiches in one go this Easter – even if it’s just the three or four of you!
- 2 large slabs (150g each) dark chocolate
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) milk
- 9 chocolate hot cross buns (or flavour of choice)
- 2 cups (500ml) softened ice cream
- Icing sugar or cocoa powder, for serving
- Fresh berries (optional)
- Melt chocolate and milk over a double boiler until smooth. (Alternatively, use the microwave to melt, stirring every 30 seconds.) Cool.
- Halve 9 chocolate hot cross buns and spread with chocolate.
- Place bottoms in a 23cm square baking dish.
- Set buns in the freezer for 10 minutes.
- Spread softened ice cream on top of buns in baking dish.
- Top with bun lids, making sure they align with bottoms for easy slicing.
- Freeze for 2-3 hours or until set.
- For serving, slice squares around buns.
- Serve dusted with icing sugar or cocoa powder and top with berries (if using).
Cook’s note: No chocolate? Chocolate spread like Nutella works well too
Good idea: No ice cream? Layer with chocolate and marshmallow instead and braai or pop in the oven to make s’mores instead