Less than 1 hour
Share with friends
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 2 onions
- 3 cloves garlic
- 800g beef mince
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) ground cumin, coriander, turmeric and mild curry powder
- A few shakes cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3-4 Tbsp (45-60ml) chutney (or apricot jam)
- 1 packet (50g) tomato paste
- 1 can (400g) cherry tomatoes or chopped and peeled tomatoes
- 2 fresh or dried bay leaves
- 1 sprig curry leaves (optional)
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock (vegetable stock or water works too)
- 4 large (380g) potatoes
- 1 packet (500g) cubed sweet potato and butternut (or root veg of choice)
- Salt and milled pepper
- Finely sliced red onion and chopped coriander, for serving
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté onions for about 8-10 minutes or until golden.
- Increase heat slightly.
- Add garlic and fry for a minute.
- Add mince and brown well, stirring regularly with a fork to break up any lumps.
- Add spices, fry for 30-60 seconds, then add chutney or jam and tomato paste.
- Cook for a minute or until sticky.
- Tip in tomatoes, curry leaves, stock and veg. Season.
- Simmer for 30-40 minutes, allowing vegetables to cook and flavours to infuse.
- Serve topped with red onion and coriander.