More than 1 hour
- Salt and milled pepper
- 4-6 medium lamb shanks (ask your butcher to trim the bones)
- Flour, for dusting
- Glug of olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 large bulb fennel, sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 anchovy fillets
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) ground coriander
- ¼ cup (60ml) passata sauce or tomato purée
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 2 cups (500ml) dry white wine
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Handful fresh parsley
- Cooked polenta, rice or mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Season meat and dust with flour, lightly tapping shanks to remove any excess flour.
- Heat oil in a pan and brown meat all over. Remove and set aside.
- Add onion, fennel, garlic and anchovies to pan and fry until soft.
- Place lamb, vegetables and anchovy mixture along with remaining ingredients into a roasting pan.
- Cover tightly with foil and roast for 90 minutes or until tender and meat is almost falling off bone.
- Squeeze over lemon juice and scatter with parsley.
- Serve with your choice of starch.