More than 1 hour
Jerk spice rub:
- 4-6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) each cayenne pepper and smoked paprika
- Handful parsley, chopped
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 tsp (5ml) each allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, chilli flakes and brown sugar
- Juice (60ml) and grated peel of 2 limes
- 13-15 (800g) Vannamei prawns, shelled and deveined
- 6 fillets (about 1kg) silverfish (carpenter) or any firm white fish of choice, cut into medium chunks
- 1 pineapple, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1-2 red peppers, deseeded and cut into chunks
- Melted butter, for basting
- Lemon wedges and fresh parsley and/or micro herbs, for serving
- Mix jerk spice rub ingredients together.
- Place fish and prawns into separate bowls.
- Sprinkle each with 3-4 Tbsp (45-60ml) spice mix and gently rub to coat thoroughly.
- Marinate for 30-60 minutes in the fridge.
- Thread fish and red pepper onto 6-8 bamboo skewers.
- Thread prawns, pineapple and red pepper onto 6-8 separate skewers.
- Cook over medium coals – fish for about 5 minutes a side, prawns for 3-4 minutes a side – basting both with butter.
- Serve with lemon wedges and herbs.