Serves 4 (as a main)
Share with friends
- 6 salad tomatoes, cored and diced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 2 red onions, sliced
- 2 packets palermo peppers, sliced (bell peppers work well too)
- 2-3 Tbsp (30-45ml) vegetable oil
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) mild curry powder
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) ground coriander
- 2cm knob fresh ginger, grated
- ½ packet (25g) tomato paste
- 1 quill cinnamon
- 2 sprigs curry leaves (bay leaves work well too)
- 2 cups (570g) long grain rice
- 3½ cups (875ml) chicken or vegetable stock
- Blitz tomatoes, garlic, 1 onion and ½ the peppers together to form a puree.
- Heat oil in a pot and fry the remaining half onions and peppers for 2-4 minutes.
- Add spices and cook until fragrant before adding the blitzed puree, ginger, tomato paste, cinnamon and curry leaves.
- Stir in the rice and stock.
- Cover and cook for 15-20 minutes or until rice is tender (take care not to overstir as it may become starchy.)
- Serve as is or with your choice of protein.