More than 1 hour
Makes 6 jumbo muffins
- 7 medium eggs
- 1 packet (200g) streaky bacon
- ¼ cup (60ml) maple-flavoured syrup or maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) chopped thyme
- 2 cups (300g) cake flour
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3ml) salt
- 1¼ cups (310ml) buttermilk
- ¼ cup (60g) butter, melted
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) chopped chives + extra for sprinkling
- 1 cup (125g) cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 spring onion, thinly sliced lengthways
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and add 6 eggs.
- Boil for 4 minutes, remove and plunge into iced water.
- Carefully peel eggs (they will be very soft) and place upright into an empty egg carton lined with clingfilm.
- Freeze for an hour.
- Chop half the bacon and fry in a hot pan for 5-7 minutes or until crispy.
- Stir through half the maple syrup and thyme and remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Sift flour and baking powder together and add salt.
- Whisk remaining egg with buttermilk and butter.
- Add dry ingredients and stir to combine.
- Fold through bacon, chives and cheese.
- Place Tbsp (30ml) mixture into the base of each greased muffin cup.
- Nestle an egg upright in the centre of each muffin cup.
- Cover each egg with remaining batter and sprinkle with chives.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Fry remaining bacon until crispy, add the rest of the syrup and set aside.
- Serve muffins topped with bacon and garnish with spring onion.