About 45 minutes
This recipe is brought to you by Nederburg wines. Find the perfect wine pairing for this gourmet sandwich below.
- 400g rump steak
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) leaf masala
- 2 tsp (10ml) BBQ spice
- Salt and milled pepper
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) butter
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- About ½ cup (125ml) Nederburg The Winemasters Cabernet Sauvignon
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) sugar
- ¼ cup (60ml) atchar
- ¼ cup (60ml) mayonnaise
- 50g (about ½ cup) finely grated parmesan (or parmesan shavings)
- 1 medium (about 40cm) French loaf
- Rocket or baby gem lettuce and chopped tomato salsa, 2 cups cooked sweet potato fries or potato “slap chips”, for serving
- Fried egg, for serving (optional)
- Season steak with salt, pepper, masala and BBQ spice.
- Heat oil in a large, non-stick pan until smoking hot.
- Cook steak for 3-4 minutes on a side, or until cooked to your liking.
- Remove the steak from the pan, leave to rest for about 5 minutes.
- Slice into 5mm slices.
- Heat a butter and oil in a pan over medium-low heat and sauté onion until soft and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Add Nederburg The Winemasters Cabernet Sauvignon and the sugar, and leave to reduce for 5-10 minutes.
- For sauce, mix the atchar, mayonnaise, and parmesan.
- Spread French loaf with the atchar sauce.
- Top with leaves, tomato salsa, sliced steak, chips and onion smoor.
- Serve with any leftover sauce and a fried egg, if using.
- Enjoy with Nederburg The Winemasters Cabernet Sauvignon.
A big statement dish demands a big statement wine. Nederburg’s The Winemasters Cabernet Sauvignon (an essential ingredient of the riotous sauce) delivers. Devilishly divine dark red and black berry tastes, some cocoa, and a light twist of pepper on the nose and palate make this wine the perfect plus one.