Less than 10 minutes
- ¼ box (125g) chocolate cake mix
- 1 large egg
- 5 tsp (25ml) vegetable oil
- ¼ cup (60ml) milk
- ½ cup (125ml) chocolate spread
- Handful mini marshmallows
- Cocoa powder, for dusting
- Place cake mix in a bowl.
- Whisk egg, oil and milk together for 30 seconds using an electric mixer.
- Add to the cake mix.
- Whisk on low speed for 30 seconds, then on high speed for 4 minutes.
- Spoon 2 Tbsp (30ml) batter into 4 x 1½ cups (375ml) capacity mugs.
- Add about 2 Tbsp (30ml) chocolate spread to each.
- Top each with 2 Tbsp (30ml) batter and 1 Tbsp (15ml) water.
- Place one mug at a time on a plate and microwave in a 700W power microwave for a minute on medium. Cake will rise and drop down into mug.
- Remove and top with marshmallows.
- Microwave for a minute more.
- Serve with a dusting of cocoa powder.
Cook’s note: Adapt cooking time to the power of the microwave. Rather undercook than overcook the cake to keep it moist and light.