More than 2 hours
- 2kg beef shin or neck
- Salt and milled pepper
- ¼ cup (60ml) cake flour
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) canola oil
- 4 (about 100g each) thick-cut pork rashers
- 6-8 baby onions, quartered
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 bottles (340ml each) milk stout
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) Worcestershire sauce
- Handful fresh parsley or thyme leaves
- 1 bag (1kg) baby potatoes, halved
- 2 packets (200g each) baby carrots, peeled and halved
- Juice (30ml) of ½ lemon
- Cooked rice, for serving
- Season beef generously and coat evenly in flour, shaking off excess.
- Heat oil in a cast-iron pot over hot coals.
- Brown beef and pork in batches. Remove and set aside.
- Add onions and garlic to the pot and fry for 3-5 minutes.
- Return meat to pot, add stout and braise gently for 5-8 minutes.
- Adjust coals to low-medium heat.
- Add bay leaves, stock, Worcestershire sauce and herbs, cover and simmer for 2 hours. (Avoid stirring as far as possible.)
- Add potatoes, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add carrots, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes, or until tender.
- Remove from heat, season and add lemon juice.
- Serve with rice.