Less than 45 minutes
Share with friends
- ⅓ cup (67g) sugar
- 2 tsp (10ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3ml) bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp (3ml) salt
- 3 cups (750ml) flour + extra for dusting
- ½ cup (125g) chilled butter, cubed
- 1 packet (100g) almonds, roughly chopped
- 1 egg, whisked
- ⅘ cup (200ml) cream + extra for glazing and serving
- Brown sugar for sprinkling
- 2 cups (500ml) mixed berries, for serving
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Whisk sugar, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and flour in a large bowl to combine.
- Add butter and toss.
- Using your fingertips or a food processor, work butter into flour until you have a fine crumb.
- Stir through half the chopped almonds.
- Make a well in the centre, add egg and cream and mix with a fork, incorporating dry ingredients a little at a time, until a dough forms.
- Knead dough in a bowl until it just comes together.
- Turn onto a lightly floured surface and pat into a 2½-3cm thick circle.
- Cut into 8 shapes, and transfer to a baking-paper lined tray.
- Brush scone tops with a little cream, sprinkle with sugar and remaining almonds.
- Bake for 18-22 minutes.
- Serve with whipped cream and fresh berries.