Less than 45 minutes
Share with friends
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) canola oil
- 2 slices crusty bread, torn into chunks
- 2 sprigs fresh or 1 tsp (5ml) dried rosemary
- 1 medium (about 700g) pumpkin, sliced
- Salt and milled pepper
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ¾ cup (180ml) risotto or arborio rice
- 1¼ cups (310ml) barley
- Grating or a pinch nutmeg
- ½ tsp (3ml) ground cinnamon
- 6 cups (1.5L) vegetable stock
- A few pumpkin seeds, for serving (optional)
- Heat 1 tsp (5ml) oil in a pan and toast bread and rosemary until fragrant.
- Place bread and rosemary in a food processor and blitz to a fine crumb. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 190°C.
- Place pumpkin on a baking tray, drizzle with 1 Tbsp (15ml) oil and season.
- Roast for 20-25 minutes or until golden and cooked through. Set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in a pot and sauté onion until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic and fry for another minute.
- Stir in rice, barley and spices and fry for a minute. Season.
- Cook over low heat and add stock, a ladle at a time, while stirring continuously and waiting until stock is absorbed before the next ladleful.
- Continue until all the stock has been added.
- Stir in half the pumpkin and adjust seasoning.
- Serve risotto topped with remaining pumpkin, rosemary crumbs and pumpkin seeds, if you like.