More than 1 hour
- 4-5 (about 220g) ripe or overripe bananas, peeled
- ¼ cup (60ml) melted butter or canola oil
- 1 tsp (5ml) baking powder
- 2 cups (about 300g) cake or wholewheat flour
- ½ tsp (3ml) salt
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla essence
- ⅔ cup (135g) brown (or white) sugar
- ½ tsp (3ml) ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup (60ml) chopped walnuts (or almonds), plus extra for topping
- Butter, softened
- 2 tsp (10ml) honey
- ¼ cup (60ml) blueberries
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place 3 bananas in a large zip-seal bag and mash with your hands.
- Add butter or oil.
- Combine baking powder, flour and salt and add to banana mixture.
- Combine eggs and vanilla and add to banana mixture.
- Add sugar, cinnamon and walnuts to mixture, then seal bag.
- Massage mixture with your hands for about 5 minutes, or until well combined.
- Grease a loaf tin with butter and line with baking paper.
- Spoon batter into loaf tin.
- Slice remaining bananas lengthways and arrange on top of batter, then scatter with extra nuts.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool completely in loaf tin before turning out onto a wire rack.
- Slice and serve with softened butter, honey and blueberries, if using.