Less than 1 hour
Share with friends
- 2 cups (300g) cake flour, sifted
- Pinch salt
- ½ cup (125g) ice-cold butter, cubed
- 1 egg yolk, whisked
- 3-4 Tbsp (30-45ml) water
- ¼ cup (60ml) cocoa powder, sifted
- 6 Tbsp (90ml) water
- 4-5 medium pears, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 packet (100g) pecan nuts or hazelnuts
- 1 slab (100g) 70% dark chocolate, chopped
- ¼ cup (60ml) castor sugar
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) apricot jam
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) lukewarm water
- Chocolate ganache or whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Blitz dry pastry ingredients and butter in a food processor until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Gradually add egg, while mixing, until combined.
- Add just enough water until dough comes together forming a ball.
- Shape into a flat disc, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate overnight or until firm.
- Whisk cocoa powder and water together until smooth.
- Add to remaining filling ingredients and mix well.
- Roll out pastry on a floured surface to 3mm thick.
- Place filling into a pie dish and cover with pastry.
- Seal edges with a fork and make a slit in the centre for steam to escape.
- Combine glaze ingredients until smooth and lump free.
- Brush pastry with glaze and bake for 25 minutes or until pastry is golden and cooked through.
- Serve topped with whipped cream or ice cream.