Less than 1 hour
(plus cooling time)
Share with friends
(You will need to make two of these for a two-tier cake)
- 1½ cups (225g) cake flour
- 2 tsp (10ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3ml) fine salt
- 2 extra-large eggs
- ¾ cup (150g) castor sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) Gallo Classico extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla essence or paste
- ½ cup (125g) plain double-cream yoghurt
- ¼ cup (60ml) juice and grated peel of 1 lemon
- ¾ cup (180ml) strawberry jam
- 1 cup (250ml) cream
- ½ cup (75g) castor sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla essence or vanilla bean paste
- Fresh strawberries and mint
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Line the bottom of a 20cm loose-bottomed cake tin with baking paper and spray tin with non-stick spray.
- Sift flour and baking powder together and add salt.
- Cream eggs and sugar together with a handheld mixer (or in a stand mixer) for 5-7 minutes until pale and fluffy and until sugar has dissolved completely. (Mixture should triple in size.)
- Add olive oil in a thin stream while mixing until well combined.
- Stir in vanilla, yoghurt and lemon juice and zest.
- Fold wet mixture into dry flour mixture using a metal spoon or spatula, mixing carefully until well combined.
- Pour batter into the prepared cake tin, pressing strawberries on top of cake, if using.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool in the tin on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then unmould and cool completely.
- Evenly cut off the top of one cake and spread with jam. (If only making one cake, you can simply slice cake in half and spread bottom layer with jam. )
- Sandwich second cake on top.
- For topping, whisk cream, sugar and vanilla until well combined and cream is stiff .
- Spoon cream on top of cake and decorate with strawberries and fresh mint just before serving.