More than 1 hour
Serves 6 – 8
Share with friends
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 medium (about 3kg) turkey (defrosted overnight if frozen)
- ½ cup (80g) butter
- 8 sage leaves
- 4 sprigs rosemary
- 4 oranges, quartered
- 2 onions, quartered
- 4 bay leaves
- 2 bulbs garlic, tops sliced off to expose cloves
- 2-3 tsp (10ml) miso paste
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) honey
- ¼ cup (60ml) chicken stock
- Juice (80ml) of 1 orange
- 1 star anise
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) butter
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) flour
- 1 tsp (5ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup (250ml) chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Season turkey all over, including inside the cavity.
- Rub softened butter under and all over skin.
- Place in a roasting pan.
- Scatter with sage and rosemary.
- Fill cavity with 4 orange quarters, 4 onion quarters and bay leaves.
- Place remaining oranges, onions and garlic around turkey.
- Roast for about 2 hours (about 20 minutes for every 500g).
- Combine basting ingredients.
- Baste well after the first hour. Thereafter, baste every 20 minutes.
- Remove, keep warm and reserve ½ cup (125ml) cooking juices.
- Heat butter in a pan until melted and sizzling.
- Add flour and cook for 30 seconds, then whisk in cooking juices.
- Add Worcestershire sauce and stock and bring to the boil, whisking for 3 minutes until thickened.
- Serve turkey on a platter with oranges, onions and garlic from the roasting pan and gravy on the side.