More than 1 hour
Share with friends
- 4 egg whites
- Pinch cream of tartar
- ½ Tbsp (7ml) vanilla essence
- 1 cup (200g) castor sugar
- 150g Peppermint Crisp chocolate, grated
- ½ tin (198g) Caramel Treat + extra for serving
- ½ cup (125ml) mascarpone cheese
- Mint leaves, for serving
- 1 cup (250ml) cake flour
- ½ cup (125ml) soft butter
- 1 cup (250ml) light brown sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground ginger
- ½ cup (125ml) desiccated coconut
- Whisk egg whites and cream of tartar to medium stiff peaks.
- Whisk in vanilla essence.
- Add sugar, a tablespoon at a time, making sure it dissolves completely before adding the next spoon.
- Whisk until all sugar is added and the meringue mixture is smooth, thick and glossy.
- Place large dollops of meringue mix on a lined baking tray, leaving space between them.
- Make a well in the centre of each one using the back of a spoon.
- Bake at 100°C for about 1 hour, until crisp.
- Cool completely in the oven before removing.
- Combine crumble ingredients in a bowl, rubbing between your fingertips.
- Bake crumble at 160°C for 12-15 minutes, until light-golden. Cool.
- Whisk caramel until smooth, then fold in the mascarpone cheese and chocolate.
- Fill centres of meringues with coconut crumble and caramel mixture.
- Garnish with fresh mint, chopped pistachios and drizzle with caramel.