Less than 1 hour
Share with friends
- ⅘ cup (200g) butter
- ¾ cup (150g) castor sugar
- 4 large eggs
- Grated peel of 1 lemon
- ⅓ cup (80ml) lemon juice
- ½ -1 Tbsp (7-15ml) rose water
- ½ cup (100g) cake flour, sifted
- 2¼ cups (215g) almond flour
- 10 cardamom pods, seeds removed and finely ground
- 1 tsp (5ml) baking powder
- Pinch fine salt
- ¼ cup (60ml) honey
- Juice (60ml) of 1 lemon
- Pinch saffron (optional)
- ⅓ cup (80ml) water
- 150g icing sugar, sifted
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) rose water
- Water, as needed
- 1 packet (100g) shelled pistachios (optional)
- Candied rose petals or dried rose buds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Cream butter and sugar together with an electric beater for 7 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- With the motor running, add eggs, one by one, fully incorporating each one before the next.
- Pour in lemon zest, juice and rose water and mix until well combined.
- Combine flours, cardamom, baking powder and salt in a bowl.
- Stir in wet mixture until well combined.
- Pour into a 23cm bundt tin or 20-22cm loose-bottomed cake tin.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Remove cake from oven and cool in tin for 5-10 minutes.
- Add syrup ingredients to a pot and bring to a simmer.
- Pour syrup over cake.
- Once cooled completely, turn the cake out onto a plate.
- Whisk icing sugar and rose water together (add a splash of water if mixture is too thick).
- Drizzle over cake and top with pistachios, rose petals or dried rose buds if using. Serve.