30 minutes (+ pickling time)
- 1 cup (250ml) vinegar
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 1 cup (250ml) sugar
- 2 tsp (10ml) coriander seeds
- 2 tsp (10ml) mustard seeds
- 3 beetroots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 large carrots, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 medium turnips, thinly sliced
- 10-12 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1 packet (400g) shortcrust pastry
- 2 discs (40g each) feta cheese
- 2 tubs (350g) PnP medium-fat cream cheese
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) horseradish
- Glug of olive oil
- Handful chopped dill or parsley
- Micro herbs, for garnishing
- Combine ingredients for pickling liquid in a pot.
- Simmer on medium heat until sugar has dissolved.
- Remove and cool slightly.
- Place vegetables in separate bowls.
- Divide pickling liquid between bowls to cover vegetables and set aside for 1–3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease a 23cm fluted tart tin.
- Roll pastry into a 25cm disc and to half its thickness.
- Line the tart tin, allowing some pastry to hang over the edges.
- Top with baking paper and baking beans (or dry rice), and blind-bake for 10-15 minutes.
- Remove baking beans and paper and bake for another 8-10 minutes.
- Combine feta, cream cheese, horseradish, olive oil and chopped dill or parsley. Season.
- Spread mixture over pastry base.
- Cut pickled veg slices in half (so they’re half-circles) and layer in an overlapping, fan-like pattern.
- Garnish with micro herbs.