Less than 30 minutes
Makes about 16
Share with friends
- ½ cup (125ml) softened butter
- 1 cup (250g) castor sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3 cups (450g) flour
- ½ cup (140g) funfetti sprinkles + extra for dipping (any sprinkle works)
- ½ Tbsp (8ml) bicarbonate of soda
- ½ cup (125ml) buttermilk
- 48 mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line 4 baking trays with baking paper.
- Whisk butter and sugar together with an electric beater until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and whisk until well combined.
- Mix flour, sprinkles and bicarb in a separate bowl and fold into batter.
- Stir through buttermilk until combined.
- Roll into 32 balls, each about the size of a R5 coin, and place on baking trays 5cm apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, until golden and the bottom of each ball has flattened slightly.
- Cool on baking tray.
- Divide into two equal groups of 16 each.
- Place 3 marshmallows each on the flat side of 16 balls.
- Microwave 3 or 4 at a time, until marshmallows are puffed up.
- Sandwich closed with the other half of the balls.
- Dip whoopie pies in funfetti sprinkles and serve while still warm.