More than 1 hour
Makes 4½ litres
Share with friends
Basic potato and leek soup:
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) butter
- 2 packets (300g each) leeks, sliced
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2kg potatoes, cubed
- 5 cups (1.25L) vegetable stock
- 4 cups (1L) water
- 3-4 tsp (15-20ml) salt and milled pepper
- 2 cups (500ml) cream
Nutty roasted cauli version:
- 2 packet (300g each) cauliflower florets
- Glug oil
- 1 packet (100g) each pumpkin seeds, almonds and hazelnuts
- For basic potato and leek soup, heat oil and butter in a large 6-8L pot.
- Sauté leeks, thyme and garlic for 5 minutes or until softened.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 30-35 minutes or until potatoes are soft.
- Remove thyme and blitz soup with a stick blender until smooth.
- Season and serve as is, or try the following:
- For nutty roasted cauli version, toss cauliflower with olive oil and roast at 200°C for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Toast seeds and nuts in a dry pan until fragrant.
- Remove and chop finely.
- Stir cauliflower into warm basic potato and leek soup and serve topped with toasted nuts and seeds.