More than 45 minutes
IMAGE CREDIT Stylist: Anke Roux Photographer: Michael le Grange
Guilt-free snacking at its best.
- 1 block (500g) butter, melted
- 1½ cups (200g) Freesweet sugar replacement
- 1 tub (500ml) buttermilk
- 3 large eggs, whisked
- 6 ⅔ cups (1kg) self-raising flour
- 2 tsp (10ml) baking powder
- 1 tsp (5ml) salt
- 6 cups (240g) bran flakes
- 1 cup (100g) rolled oats
- 1 cup (155g) mixed seeds
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line two 30cm x 10cm loaf pans with baking paper.
- Whisk butter, sugar replacement, buttermilk and eggs together.
- Mix dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry one and mix well.
- Divide mixture between loaf pans and bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool.
- Set oven to 90°C.
- Slice into rusks, place on an oven rack and dry in oven overnight.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to four weeks.