Less than 45 minutes
Share with friends
- 1 cup (250g) butter + 2 Tbsp (30ml) extra for brushing
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 cup (250ml) flour
- 2 cups (500ml) full-cream milk
- 2 cups (500ml) fish stock
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) English mustard powder (or Dijon or wholegrain)
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1kg hake, defrosted and cut into cubes
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) chopped parsley
- 6 sheets phyllo pastry, defrosted
- Melt the cup of butter in a large pot over a low heat.
- Add onion, cover and sweat for 4 minutes until onion is soft.
- Add flour and stir over a medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Whisk in milk and stock, add mustard and simmer until thickened slightly.
- Season and add fish.
- Cook for 12 minutes or until fish is opaque and firm, then stir through parsley.
- Preheat oven to 180˚C. Melt 2 Tbsp butter.
- Spoon fish into an ovenproof dish.
- Top with phyllo pastry and brush with melted butter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until pastry is golden and crispy.