Ready in 3-5 days
Makes 1 litre
Share with friends
- 1 Chinese cabbage (or green cabbage)
- ¼ cup (60ml) coarse salt
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 8 radishes, sliced
- 5 cloves garlic
- 5cm knob fresh ginger, sliced
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) fish sauce
- ¼ cup (60ml) red chilli paste or sriracha
- 2 tsp (10ml) sugar
- Remove 2 outer leaves of Chinese cabbage and save for later.
- Trim ends and quarter cabbage lengthways.
- Slice quarters into 2cm-thick strips and place in a large bowl.
- Rub coarse salt into cabbage.
- Cover with water and place a plate on top to weigh it down.
- Set aside for 2 hours.
- Strain and reserve brine.
- Mix cabbage with carrots, spring onions and radishes.
- Blitz garlic cloves, fresh ginger, fish sauce, red chilli paste or sriracha and sugar in a food processor to make a paste.
- Stir paste through veg until well coated.
- Place mixture in a clean 1L jar and add reserved brine (just enough to cover the mixture).
- Tuck reserved cabbage leaves into the jar to create a layer over the veg.
- Loosely screw lid on (gas needs to escape).
- Store in a dark place for 3-5 days until it starts to bubble.
- Serve or refrigerate for up to 3 months.