Less than 45 minutes
Share with friends
- ¼ cup (60ml) good-quality olive oil
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 each red and yellow peppers, diced
- 3 baby marrows, diced 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 small brinjal, diced
- ½ cup (125ml) tomato passata sauce or tomato purée
- ½ cup (125ml) red wine vinegar (white balsamic or apple cider vinegar works too)
- ¼ cup (60ml) brown (or regular) sugar
- Salt and milled pepper
- ¼ cup (60ml) sultanas or raisins (optional)
- 2 punnets (250g each), mixed cherry tomatoes
- Handful mixed olives
- Small handful capers
- 8 (about 800g) firm hake medallions (defrosted hake fillets can also be used)
- 2 eggs, whisked
- Flour, for dusting
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- Handful chopped parsley and basil, for serving (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pan and add onion.
- Fry for a minute, then add peppers, marrows and brinjal.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add passata, vinegar and sugar and simmer gently for 5 minutes. Season well.
- Stir through the remaining ingredients and remove from heat.
- Season fish, dip in egg and dust with flour.
- Shallow–fry in hot oil for 4-5 minutes or until just cooked through.
- Tuck cooked fish into caponata and cool.
- Scatter with fresh herbs just before serving.