More than 1 hour
- 2.5-3kg silverside beef
- ¼ cup (60ml) oil
- Salt and milled pepper
- 3 red onions, thickly sliced
- 1 cup (250ml) beef stock
- 6 thyme sprigs + extra to serve
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) flour
- ¾ cup (180ml) port
- 1 bunch grapes
- 4 plums, halved
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Rub beef with oil. Season.
- Heat a casserole and brown meat evenly.
- Remove and set aside.
- Arrange onion slices in casserole dish and place meat on top.
- Pour in stock and add thyme sprigs.
- Cover meat with a piece of damp greaseproof paper, followed by a double layer of foil.
- Roast for 2-2½ hours.
- Place fruit in a roasting pan and roast for 20-30 minutes until softened.
- Check halfway and add a splash of water if needed.
- Remove meat and onion from casserole and set aside.
- Place casserole on stovetop and reduce liquid by a third.
- Stir flour with a bit of water to form a paste.
- Add to casserole to make gravy.
- Add port and simmer until slightly thickened, then strain.
- Slice beef and serve with fruit and gravy.