Less than 1 hour
Share with friends
- 1 cauliflower, broken into florets
- 1 butternut, diced (skin on)
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- Glug oil
- 1 tsp (5ml) each cumin, mustard, coriander and nigella seeds (optional)
- 1 cup (250ml) plain yoghurt
- 1 packet (70g) curry paste of choice
- Juice of ½ lemon
- Salt and milled pepper
- 2 cups (500ml) basmati rice, par-cooked
- ½ packet (500g) brown lentils, cooked
- 1 packet (250g) mini Italian tomatoes, finely chopped (salad tomatoes work well too)
- ½ onion, finely diced
- Handful fresh coriander, chopped
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) white vinegar
- 4 boiled eggs, halved
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Place cauliflower, butternut and onion onto a lined baking tray.
- Drizzle with oil, scatter with spices and roast for 25 minutes, tossing occasionally until cooked through.
- Whisk yoghurt, curry paste and lemon juice until smooth. Season.
- Line a deep 20cm ovenproof dish/ cake tin with baking paper.
- Layer rice, lentils and vegetables in the cake tin in alternating layers.
- Cover with foil and bake for 40 minutes.
- Toss together tomatoes, onion and coriander to make a sambal and stir through vinegar.
- Unmould biryani and top with sambal, boiled eggs and extra plain yoghurt.