More than 1 hour
Share with friends
- 3-4 (about 1kg) small butternuts, halved and deseeded
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive or canola oil
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 sprigs rosemary and/ or 5 sprigs thyme, leaves picked
- 2 salad tomatoes, grated
- 1 large packet (100g) tomato paste
- 2 cups (500ml) pearl barley (or wholegrain of choice)
- ⅓ cup (80ml) red wine (optional)
- 2 tsp (10ml) smoked or regular paprika
- 1 tsp (5ml) black mustard seeds
- 4 cups (1L) vegetable stock
- Handful pumpkin seeds, for serving
- Handful baby spinach and/or rocket, for serving
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Score necks of butternuts – this will ensure even cooking.
- Place on a roasting tray, cut-side up, drizzle with half the oil and season.
- Roast butternuts for 40-50 minutes or until tender and caramelised.
- Heat remaining oil in a pot.
- Sauté onion for 8-10 minutes.
- Add garlic and fry for another minute.
- Add herbs, grated tomato, tomato paste and barley and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Stir though wine, if using, and allow to reduce slightly.
- Add in paprika, mustard seeds and stock.
- Season well.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes or until barley is tender, stirring regularly.
- Spoon barley into butternuts, sprinkle with pumpkin seeds and top with baby spinach/rocket just before serving.