More than 1 hour
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- Grated peel of 2 lemons
- 4 sprigs each rosemary, thyme and oregano
- 1 (2-2.5kg) leg of lamb, bone in
- 3kg fine or coarse salt
- 1 cup (250ml) flour
- 7 egg whites, whisked
- ½-¾ cup (125-180ml) water, as needed
- 300g calamata olives, chopped
- Grated peel of ½ lemon
- ½ red chilli, chopped
- 4 sundried tomatoes in olive oil, chopped
- ½ clove garlic, grated
- Glug olive oil
- Pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- Combine olive oil, garlic, lemon peel and herbs and rub onto lamb.
- Place lamb on a large baking tray.
- Combine salt crust ingredients, adding just enough water for the mixture to stick together.
- Pack tightly around lamb.
- Roast for 1½ hours.
- Remove from oven and rest for 20 minutes.
- Combine tapenade ingredients.
- Crack crust to remove and serve lamb with tapenade.