More than 1 hour
- 2 (about 450g each) rump steaks
- ½ cup (125ml) coarse salt
- Milled pepper
- 1 punnet (500g) cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ red onion, chopped
- ½ cup (125ml) olive oil
- ½ punnet (10g) each fresh coriander and parsley, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, grated
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Salt and milled pepper
- Cut steak into 3-4cm chunks and coat with coarse salt.
- Leave for 1 hour at room temperature – this will ensure even cooking.
- Combine gremolata ingredients and infuse for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove steak from salt, brushing off the excess.
- Thread onto skewers and season with pepper.
- Braai or grill over high heat (you should be able to hold your hand over the coals for 2-3 seconds only), for about 3 minutes on either side for medium-rare steak.
- Remove meat, cover, and rest for 10 minutes.
- Serve with gremolata tomatoes.