More than 1 hour
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) olive oil
- Salt and milled pepper
- 2kg beef short ribs
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) ground cumin
- 1 tsp (5ml) cinnamon
- ½ tsp (3ml) ground cloves
- 4 sprigs each fresh rosemary and thyme
- 1 large sachet (100g) tomato paste
- 1 cup (250ml) red wine
- 2 cans (400g each) cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups (500ml) beef stock
- ½ cup (30g) grated parmesan
- Pasta, polenta, mash or rice of choice and fresh basil, for serving
- Heat half the oil in a pot over high heat, season meat and brown in batches.
- Remove and set aside.
- Heat remaining oil in the same pot and sauté onion until soft and translucent.
- Add garlic, spices and herbs and fry for a minute.
- Add tomato paste and cook for a minute or until sticky.
- Pour in wine to deglaze pot, then stir in cherry tomatoes and stock.
- Return meat to pot.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 2½–3 hours, stirring regularly, until meat is soft.
- Remove meat and shred with two forks – it should flake easily – discarding bones and any sinew.
- Return meat to pot, combining with thick, rich gravy.
- Serve ragu on a bed of pasta, mash or polenta, topped with parmesan and basil leaves.