More than 1 hour
- 1 cup (250ml) red wine
- ⅓ cup (80ml) brown sugar
- 1 star anise
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 6 plums, halved and stoned
- 1 (about 700g) PnP beechwood smoked pork belly
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) honey
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) butter, softened
- Sweet mustard for serving, (optional)
- Combine red wine, sugar, spices and plums in a saucepan and simmer for 15 minutes, until thickened slightly and plums are soft.
- Set aside to cool. (Strain the sauce if you prefer it smoother.)
- Prepare hot coals, you should be able to keep your palm just above the grid for 7 seconds.
- Score fat on top of the pork belly, taking care not to cut through the meat.
- Combine honey and butter and lightly baste the scored fat.
- Braai pork belly for 15-25 minutes, basting and turning as you go. It should become crisp and golden.
- Place on a platter and drizzle with plum sauce.
- Slice and serve with extra plum sauce and sweet mustard, if using.