More than 1 hour
Makes 2 cups
- Mixed red peppers (we used 4 sweet palermo peppers, 6 sweet baby peppers and 4 red peppers)
- Glug olive or canola oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup (125ml) red wine vinegar
- ¼ cup (60ml) sugar
- 1 tsp (5ml) smoked paprika
- 1 tsp (5ml) chilli flakes or 1 fresh red chilli (optional)
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 cup (150g) flour
- ½ cup (60g) cornflour
- ½ cup (125ml) grated parmesan cheese
- 4 chicken breast fillets, cut into strips
- 2 cups (500ml) buttermilk
- Oil, for deep frying
- Grill peppers over an open flame (or under the oven grill) for 10-12 minutes until blistered.
- Place in a bowl, cover with clingfilm and set aside to sweat for 10-15 minutes.
- Peel off charred skin, remove pith and seeds and roughly chop.
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat and sauté onion until soft.
- Add remaining relish ingredients and cook for 10-15 minutes.
- Tip in peppers and cook for 8-10 minutes until thick and syrupy.
- Season and set aside.
- Combine flour and cornflour and parmesan cheese in a bowl.
- Season chicken strips, dip in buttermilk and coat in flour mixture.
- Repeat twice until chicken is coated well.
- Fill a medium-sized pot with 8-10cm oil and heat up until shimmery hot.
- Fry chicken for 8-10 minutes or until golden and cooked through.
- Drain on kitchen paper and season well.
- Serve chicken strips warm with relish for dipping.