More than 1 hour
Makes about 5 cups
- 500g dried sour figs
- 2.5L water, for soaking
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) salt
- 2 cups (500ml) sugar
- 4 cups (1L) water
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 2 cardamom pods
- 2 strips of orange peel
- Remove all the hard and hairy bits from the figs (use scissors to snip the tops but make sure not to cut the insides).
- Combine water and salt and pour over figs to cover.
- Leave to soak overnight.
- Drain and rinse the soaked figs.
- Combine sugar, water, whole spices and orange peel in a pot.
- Bring to a simmer and stir until sugar has dissolved (about 5-8 minutes).
- Tip in figs and simmer over low heat for 2½ hours.
- Remove whole spices and citrus peel.
- Blitz with a stick blender if you like until smooth.
- Spoon into sterilised jars, seal and allow to cool before refrigerating.