Less than 30 minutes
Share with friends
- 1½ cups (225g) flour
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) baking powder
- ½ tsp (3ml) salt
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) white sugar
- 2 tsp (10ml) ground mixed spice (cinnamon and a pinch of nutmeg works well too)
- 1 slab (80g) chocolate, chopped (optional)
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) raisins
- 1¼ cups (310ml) milk
- 1 egg
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) oil + extra for frying
- 1-2 tsp (5-10ml) water or lemon juice
- ¼ cup (60ml) icing sugar
- Sift dry ingredients together.
- Stir through chocolate (if using) and raisins.
- Combine milk, egg and oil in a separate bowl and stir into dry ingredients.
- Heat 1 tsp (5ml) oil in a non-stick pan and fry a heaped tablespoon batter for 2 minutes a side or until golden.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- For crosses, whisk just enough water or lemon juice into icing so that it’s runny enough to pipe.
- Spoon icing into one corner of a small zip-seal bag and snip off the corner to create a piping bag.
- Pipe a cross onto each flapjack once cooled slightly. (It won’t hold its shape if flapjacks are too hot.)
- Serve while warm with your favourite topping like honey or yoghurt.
Check out our other Easy Flapjack Recipe