Less than 45 minutes
- ¾ cup (90g) icing sugar, sifted
- ½ cup (125g) cold butter
- 1⅔ cups (250g) cake flour
- ½ tsp (3ml) ground ginger
- ½ tsp (3ml) cinnamon
- 1 egg, whisked
- 5 large Granny Smith apples
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) butter
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) golden syrup
- 6 Tbsp (90ml) raisins and/or sultanas
- 1 tsp (5ml) cinnamon
- 2 hot cross buns
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) butter
- Ice cream or whipped cream, for serving
- Combine icing sugar, butter, cake flour and spice in a food processor and process until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add whisked egg while blitzing.
- Press dough into a ball, wrap in clingfilm and refrigerate until firm.
- Core and slice apples into 2cm chunks.
- Heat butter in a pan and cook apples until golden.
- Add golden syrup, raisins and sultanas and cinnamon and cook until caramelised.
- Place mixture into a 20cm round dish.
- Tear hot cross buns into 1cm pieces.
- Melt butter in the same pan and fry torn buns.
- Stir half of the buns through apple mixture.
- Roughly grate cold pastry, combine with remaining buns and scatter over apples.
- Bake at 180°C for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream