Less than 45 minutes
- 1½ cups (300g) sugar
- ¾ cup (180ml) water
- ½ cup (125ml) milk
- 2 sticks cinnamon
- 3 cardamom pods, smashed
- 1 star anise
- 2 tsp (10ml) cornflour
- 3 cups (750ml) cooked and mashed pumpkin
- 2 eggs
- Grated peel of 1 orange
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) honey
- 2 cups (500ml) self-raising flour
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground ginger
- 1 tsp (5ml) ground cinnamon + extra for serving
- ½ tsp (3ml) ground cloves
- ½ tsp (3ml) ground nutmeg
- 3 cups (750ml) canola oil
- Combine sauce ingredients (excluding cornflour) in a saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Mix cornflour with a little water to make a paste and add to sauce.
- Cook for 3 minutes, or until thick, and keep warm.
- For fritters, combine pumpkin, eggs, orange peel and honey.
- Combine remaining ingredients and stir through pumpkin mixture until well-combined.
- Heat oil in a pot and fry dollops of fritter batter until golden all over.
- Drain on kitchen paper and submerge in warm sauce for 5 minutes (reserve some sauce for serving). Remove.
- Serve pumpkin fritters dusted with extra cinnamon and a drizzle of extra sauce.