More than 4 hours
This recipe is brought to you by Nederburg wines. Find the perfect wine pairing for this beef pasta below.
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) each paprika and mustard powder
- 1 tsp (5ml) each ground allspice, coriander, cumin, smoked paprika and salt
- Milled pepper, to taste
- 1.5 kg beef brisket
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) olive or canola oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2-3 sprigs thyme
- 1 cup Nederburg Double Barrel Reserve
- 2/3 cup (160ml) fresh orange juice
- 1 can (410g) chopped tomatoes
- About 1½ packets (70g) tomato paste
- 2-4 cups (½ -1 L) of beef stock
- Salt and milled pepper
- 1 packet (500g) tagliatelle or pappardelle pasta, cooked to packet instructions
- Parmesan cheese and basil, for serving
- Preheat oven to 170oC.
- Combine all the spices and coat beef in mixture.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof pot over high heat and sear the brisket on all sides until golden all brown. Remove and set aside.
- Add another glug of oil, lower heat to medium and fry onion for 8-10 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and thyme and cook for another minute.
- Return brisket and add the wine, orange juice, canned tomatoes, and enough beef stock to cover the meat completely.
- Cook covered for about 4 hours in the oven, or until the meat falls apart when you pull at it with a fork and a knife.
- For sauce, remove brisket from pot and cook on the stovetop to reduce over medium-low until the sauce thickens.
- Shred brisket with two forks and fold through the sauce.
- Toss pasta with the spicy tshotlho beef together.
Serve steaming hot with fresh parmesan and a scattering of basil, with Nederburg Double Barrel Reserve to match.
Affirm its hearty goodness with Nederberg Double Barrel Reserve. Like this stew, it also takes its time to reach its best. With a Bordeaux-style Cabernet Sauvignon-based blend, it’s double-barrel treatment that sets it apart. Every wine going into the composition is made separately and left to age in French oak. In time, these individual components are brought together to achieve a fragrant fusion of plump, juicy black and blue berry flavours with a lovely savoury depth. Then it goes back into wood a second time to polish and round it out.