More than 1 hour
- 4 (about 400g) red peppers
- 1 large (about 300g) brinjal, cut into thick rounds
- 1 punnet (400g) yellow patty pans, halved (or baby marrows, sliced into chunks)
- 2 onions, quartered
- 1 punnet (240g) vine tomatoes
- ½ cup (125ml) olive oil
- 1 can (400g) chopped & peeled tomatoes
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) tomato paste
- Pinch sugar
- Fresh sprig thyme
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp (5ml) chilli flakes
- Salt and milled pepper
- Fresh mozzarella (or ricotta or feta cheese)
- PnP garlic & herb focaccia
- Fresh basil and parsley, chopped
- Char peppers under the grill or over the open flame of a gas stove.
- Place in a bowl, cover with clingwrap and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Toss brinjal, patty pans (or baby marrow), onion quarters and vine tomatoes in oil and char on a hot griddle pan.
- Remove blackened skins from peppers by rubbing fingertips over the outside. Discard skin and deseed.
- Slice or tear peppers into thick strips.
- Combine canned tomatoes, vegetable stock, tomato paste, sugar, thyme, garlic and chilli flakes in a large roasting dish.
- Mix the charred vegetables and peppers and season.
- Bake at 180°C for 45-55 minutes until sauce becomes sticky and vegetables are soft.
- Serve scattered with mozzarella and herbs, with crispy garlic & herb focaccia on the side.