Less than 1 hour
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) canola or olive oil blend
- 750g lamb (or beef) chunks or stewing meat
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 tsp (20ml) ground cumin (beef spice or ground coriander works well too)
- 1 tsp (5ml) allspice
- 1 can (50g) tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) flour
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken or beef stock
- Salt and milled pepper
- Rice, pap or bread, for serving
- Heat oil in a large pot.
- Brown lamb in batches and set aside.
- In the same pan, fry onion and garlic for 2-3 minutes or until golden.
- Add spices and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add tomato paste and flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Pour in stock, return meat to pot, season and simmer for 30-40 minutes or until meat is tender.
- Serve stew with rice, pap or crusty bread to mop up all those delicious juices.