Less than 45 minutes
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) olive oil
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) butter
- 3 onions, sliced
- 6 Tbsp (90ml) balsamic vinegar
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) brown sugar
- 1 PnP potbrood or 1-2 ciabattas
- 1¾ cups (220g) grated white cheddar or mozzarella
- 8 sprigs thyme
- Salt and milled pepper
- Heat oil and butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Sauté onions for 5-8 minutes, adding more oil if needed.
- Increase heat, add vinegar and sugar, and cook for a minute to reduce until sticky.
- Remove and cool slightly.
- Score the top of the potbrood in a criss-cross pattern (take care not to cut all the way through).
- Fill cavities with cheese, onion and thyme leaves. Season.
- Wrap in foil or pop into a flat-bottomed black Dutch potjie and place directly on medium coals – topping with a few coals too.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes to melt cheese well.
- Serve immediately, so guests can pull out chunks of bread and gooey cheese.