- 1 red pepper
- ½ packet (50g) blanched almonds
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- Large glug olive oil
- Salt and milled pepper
- ⅗ cup (150ml) self-raising flour
- 1 cup (250ml) soda water, chilled
- Vegetable oil, for frying
- 300g small broccoli florets
- For the romesco sauce, roast red pepper over an open gas flame or under a hot grill until charred and soft.
- Place in a plastic bag for about 5 minutes to sweat.
- Remove skin, membranes and seeds.
- Blitz charred red pepper with blanched almonds, red wine vinegar, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper until smooth and creamy.
- Whisk self-raising flour and a pinch of salt with soda water to make a batter.
- Heat 4cm vegetable oil in a pot.
- Dip broccoli florets in batter and deep-fry until golden.
- Drain on kitchen towel.
- Serve immediately with romesco sauce.