More than 45 minutes
Share with friends
- 500g beef mince
- ¼ cup (60ml) breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp (5ml) Dijon mustard
- Salt and milled pepper
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) canola or olive oil, for frying
- 2 slices cheddar cheese (or ½ cup grated cheddar)
- 1 cup (150g) flour
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 onion, sliced into rings
- Oil, for deep-frying
- 1 avocado
- 1 red chilli, chopped
- Juice (30ml) of ½ lemon
- 2 soft burger buns, toasted
- ¼ cup (60ml) mayonnaise
- 4 gherkins, sliced
- Handful butter lettuce leaves (or salad bits of choice)
- 1 salad tomato, sliced
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, cooked until crisp
- Combine mince, breadcrumbs, egg, onion, mustard and seasoning and mix well. Shape into 2 large patties, cover and chill to firm up.
- Heat a glug of oil in a pan and fry patties until golden and cooked through, 4-5 minutes a side for medium doneness.
- Place a slice of cheese on each patty in the last minute of cooking and cover with a lid to steam and melt. Keep warm.
- To make the onion rings, combine flour and milk. Season.
- Dip onion rings in batter and deep-fry in oil for 2-3 minutes, or until golden.
- Drain on kitchen paper. Set aside and keep warm.
- Smash avocado with a fork and add chilli, lemon juice and seasoning.
- Spread buns with mayonnaise and top with gherkins, lettuce and tomato.
- Place cooked patties on prepared buns.
- Top with avocado smash, bacon and onion rings.
- Serve warm.
Good idea: Not looking for oversized? Shape into 4 medium patties instead.