Less than 1 hour
Share with friends
- 8 (about 2kg) large chipping potatoes, peeled and cut into 1.5cm-thick chips
- Vegetable oil, for deep-frying
- Fine salt or flavoured salt, for serving
- Rinse chips under cold water until water runs clear to remove excess starch.
- Place chips in a large pot and cover completely in cold water.
- Parcook on a medium heat for 10-15 minutes (take care not to boil).
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a cooling rack to drip-dry.
- Place the rack on a baking tray or chopping board and freeze for about 45 minutes. (This dries out the chips properly).
- Fill a large pot with oil to about ¾ full and heat to about 130°C (use a thermometer).
- Deep-fry chips in batches for about 5 minutes and drain on kitchen paper.
- Set aside to cool slightly.
- Increase oil temperature to 180°C and deep-fry chips in batches for about 3-5 minutes, until golden and crispy.
- Drain on kitchen paper, sprinkle with salt and serve immediately.