Less than 45 minutes
Share with friends
- ½ cup (125ml) each grated mozzarella and gruyere cheese
- 1 log (100g) goat’s cheese
- 2 tsp (10ml) chopped fresh sage
- 1 packet (400g) defrosted puff pastry, cut into 8 squares
- 1 egg, whisked
Smoky tomato soup:
- 4 Tbsp (60ml) butter
- 4 onions, chopped
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 Tbsp (60ml) smoked paprika (regular paprika and a pinch of cumin works well too)
- Handful sage leaves + extra for garnish
- 4 Tbsp (60ml) light brown sugar
- 4 cans (400g each) chopped tomatoes
- 1 can (400g) tomato purée
- 2 cups (500ml) vegetable stock
- Handful mixed medley tomatoes, halved
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) chopped thyme
- Salt and milled pepper
- Preheat oven to 200°C.
- For bourekas, combine cheeses and sage to create a spread.
- Place a spoonful of cheese spread on one side of each square and fold over to enclose and create a triangle.
- Pinch seams closed with a fork, place on a greased oven tray and brush with whisked egg.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until golden.
- For soup, heat butter in a large pot.
- Fry onions, garlic, smoked paprika and a handful of sage leaves for about 3 minutes, until golden.
- Add sugar, canned tomatoes, tomato purée and vegetable stock.
- Simmer gently for 10 minutes.
- Add a mixed medley of tomatoes and thyme, season.
- Ladle soup into bowls, garnish with sage and serve with bourekas, hot from the oven.