Less than 30 minutes
Share with friends
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 5 cups (1.25L) chicken stock
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 2 (about 600g) frozen chicken leg quarters, defrosted
- 1 cup (250ml) white or brown rice
- 3 bay leaves (optional)
- Salt and milled pepper
- 2 cans (400g each) cream-style sweetcorn (corn kernels work well too)
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Chopped spring onion, for serving (optional)
- Crusty bread, for serving
- Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté onion for about 5 minutes or until golden.
- Add garlic and fry for another minute.
- Add stock, water, chicken, rice and bay leaves (if using). Season.
- Gently simmer for about 20 minutes or until chicken and rice are cooked through.
- Remove chicken and cool, then shred (discard chicken skin and bones).
- Return chicken to pot and stir in corn.
- Add lemon juice and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Garnish soup with spring onion (if using) and serve with crusty bread.