Less than 45 minutes
Share with friends
- 400g prawn or shrimp meat
- 2 egg whites
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) cornflour
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) soy sauce
- 1 tsp (5ml) sesame oil
- 2 spring onions, finely chopped
- Pinch salt
- 8 slices white bread, crust removed
- ½ cup (125ml) sesame seeds
- Canola oil, for shallow-frying
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) tom yum paste
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) each fish sauce and soy sauce
- Juice (30ml) of 1 lime (or ½ lemon)
- 4 cups (1L) vegetable stock
- 1 cup (250ml) coconut milk
- 2 punnets (100g each) shiitake mushrooms
- 1 packet (200g) baby pak choi, halved
- Pat prawn or shrimp meat dry with kitchen paper.
- Whisk egg whites and cornflour together and add prawn meat.
- Stir in soy sauce, sesame oil, spring onion and salt.
- Roll bread flat with a rolling pin.
- Spread prawn mixture on bread and dip in sesame seeds.
- Slice into fingers or triangles and chill in the fridge for about 5 minutes.
- Heat oil and shallow-fry toasties in a pan for 1-2 minutes or until golden on both sides.
- Drain on kitchen towel and keep warm.
- Heat sesame oil in a pot and flash-fry paste.
- Add fish sauce, soy sauce and lime juice.
- Top with stock and coconut milk and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and pak choi and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Serve broth with prawn toasties on the side.