More than 1 hour
- 3 Tbsp (45ml) canola oil + extra for sautéing
- 2 packets (2kg) oxtail
- Salt and milled pepper
- Flour, for dusting
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) Worcestershire sauce
- 1-2 tsp (5-10ml) chilli flakes
- 1 Tbsp (15ml) smoked paprika
- 1 large packet (100g) tomato paste
- 4 cups (1L) beef stock
- 1 can (400g) chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup (250ml) water
- 2 cans (400g each) butter beans, drained
- 1 packet (200g) baby carrots
- 1 packet (200g) vine tomatoes
- Thyme, parsley and crusty sourdough bread, for serving
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker or normal pot.
- Season oxtail well and dust with flour, shaking off excess.
- Brown meat all over. Remove from pot.
- Fry onion in the same pot over lower heat until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and fry for another minute.
- Add Worcestershire sauce, spices and tomato paste, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add stock, chopped tomatoes, water and browned meat.
- Cook in a pressure cooker for 1 hour or on the stove over medium heat for 2.5 hours, until tender and almost falling off the bone.
- Sauté baby carrots in a pan over high heat for 3-4 minutes.
- Stir butter beans, carrots and vine tomatoes into sauce and heat through.
- Garnish with herbs and serve with bread – no time for cutlery here, so get your hands dirty!