More than 1 hour
Makes 8 buns
- 2 cups (300g) white bread flour
- 2 cups (300g) cake flour + extra for dusting
- ¾ cup (180ml) milk
- 1 sachet (10g) yeast
- Pinch salt
- 3 Tbsp (35g) sugar
- ½ cup (125ml) water
- 1 egg, whisked
- 3 Tbsp (45g) butter, softened
- ½ cup (125ml) raisins or sultanas
- ½ tsp (3ml) cinnamon
- ½ tsp (3ml) nutmeg
- ½ cup (60g) cake flour
- ¼ cup (60ml) smooth apricot jam
- 2 Tbsp (30ml) hot water
- Combine flours, milk, yeast, salt and sugar in a stand mixer and add water while mixing.
- Add egg and butter and knead to create a sticky dough.
- Add raisins and spices and knead for 4-5 minutes or until smooth. (If mixing by hand, kneading should take about 10 minutes.)
- Cover and set aside to rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until double in size.
- Knead dough and divide into 8 pieces.
- Shape into rounds and dust with flour.
- Place buns on a baking tray lined with baking paper, cover and proof for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- For cross, combine flour and just enough water to make a smooth paste.
- Transfer paste to a piping bag and pipe a straight line vertically down the middle of each bun, then horizontally.
- Bake buns for 15 to 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- For glaze, combine jam and water. Brush or drizzle over buns right after they’ve come out of the oven.
- Serve hot.