Less than 45 minutes
Makes 12 (or 24 small)
Share with friends
- 1 cup (250ml) brown sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) orange juice
- 2 sprigs rosemary
- 1 vanilla pod, sliced
- 1 ⅕ cups (300g) butter, softened
- 1 ⅕ cups (300g) castor sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tsp (5ml) vanilla essence
- 2 cups (300g) self-raising flour, sieved
- Pinch salt
- 2 small oranges, unpeeled and sliced
- Fresh mint, to garnish
- Heat syrup ingredients in a pan over medium heat.
- Stir until sugar melts.
- Reduce heat and leave to infuse.
- Spray two large 6-cup or two regular 12-cup muffin pans with non-stick spray.
- Place orange slices at the base of each muffin cup.
- Cream butter and sugar with an electric beater until pale and fluffy.
- Add eggs one by one while whisking continuously (make sure each egg is fully incorporated before adding the next addition).
- Mix through vanilla essence, then fold in flour and salt.
- Spoon batter into muffin cups until two-thirds full.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes at 180°C or until an inserted skewer comes out clean.
- Cool cakes in muffin pan.
- Remove vanilla pod and rosemary from syrup and reheat.
- Pour hot syrup over cakes and carefully turn out on a plate.
- Garnish with mint and serve.